The battery is located in the luggage compartment under the storage floor.
- Open the luggage compartment floor.
- Remove tool kit tray.
- Disconnect ground strap on the battery:
- Risk of short circuit! Disconnect the negative cable -1- on the battery.
Removing terminal clamps
- Route or isolate the ground strap so that all contact with a ground carrier (e.g. body, battery terminal) is avoided.
IMPORTANT: After you disconnect the battery, all settings get reset
- Control unit memories
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Steering angle sensor
- Sunroof motor limits
- Power window limits
- Electrical steering column adjustment
Effect of disconnection or total discharge of battery on electrical systems in the vehicle and the precautions to be taken
Control unit memories – Values and faults stored in the control units can be deleted if the battery is disconnected or completely discharged.
- If possible, all fault memories should be checked and, if necessary, printed out before the battery is disconnected.
Ready status – In some countries (presently the U.S.A. and Canada), after disconnecting the battery, it is necessary to reach the Ready status by a test drive and/or by using the Porsche System Tester DME control module menu). If in doubt about this, contact the relevant importer.
2470 DME control module – With all DME systems, the engine must run for several minutes before the engine control module can relearn the idle speed and mixture adaptation values!
After disconnection of the power supply, the idle speed might change or fluctuate briefly until the throttle valve adjusting unit has been readapted.
The mixture adaptation is also lost.
After the battery is connected, you must do following:
DME control module – With the DME module, it is necessary to carry out a learning and adaptation routine as described below:
- Switch ignition on for 30 seconds without starting the engine.
- Do not actuate accelerator pedal.
This completes the adaptation of the throttle valve adjusting unit.
Tire pressure monitoring system – When the battery is disconnected and connected, the tyre pressure is first displayed as “- – – “.
- Once the battery has been disconnected and work is complete, the vehicle must be driven for a short distance.
The actual pressures will then be displayed again.
Steering angle sensor – The steering angle sensor must be re-initialised when the battery is disconnected and connected.
- Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.
- Switch ignition off and then on again twice.
- Start engine.
- From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20°to the right, past the straight-ahead position.
- Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 4 km/h (2.5 mph).
The steering angle sensor segment is recognised again in this process.
Once the sensor has been successfully initialised, the fault code that is stored in the fault memory is documented using the fault deletion counter.
The fault memory erases itself automatically.
The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.
Motor for sunroof – The limit positions of the sunroof are deleted from the control unit when the battery is disconnected and connected.
- Switch on ignition.
- Press the sunroof button for several seconds in direction of travel.
- After approx. 10 seconds, the sunroof performs an automatic standardisation process and resets all positions.
- Keep the button pressed during the standardisation process.
Afterwards, the sunroof is standardised correctly.
Power windows – The limit positions of the power windows are deleted from the control unit when the battery is disconnected and connected.
Perform the following procedure for all power windows:
- Pull rocker switch and fully close window once.
- Pull rocker switch once more.
The upper end position of the window is stored.
- Press rocker switch and fully open window once.
- Press rocker switch once more.
The lower end position of the window is stored.
Electrical steering column adjustment (ELVS) – The electrical steering column adjustment end positions (ELVS) are deleted when the battery is disconnected and connected.
The following buttons must be pressed in sequence in order to re-initialise electrical steering column adjustment.
- Press the extend button three times (extend towards the driver).
- Press the retract button once.
- Press the extend button once (towards the driver).
- Press the up button once.
- Press the down button once.
Once the buttons have been pressed correctly, the steering column automatically moves all axles and stops at the centre position (only works when the vehicle is stationary).